From:
Nina Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2007 20:00:57 +1100
Hi Norma
Cold-smoked fish is not cooked.  Hot-smoked fish is cooked.  The advice to
pregnant women here is to avoid all cold meats (including cooked seafood
such as prawns and crab that are sold cooked), soft cheeses, prepared
salads, raw seafood (such as oysters), unpasteurised dairy products and
leftovers. Mothers are cautioned to cook meat and seafood at home (well) and
eat it immediately.  Leftovers should be eaten within 24hrs and reheated
until steaming.
Listeriosis is frequently fatal to the unborn.  It causes miscarriage early
in pregnancy and stillbirth later.  The illness itself can be very mild and
often goes unnoticed in adults.  Listeria is a food-borne bacterium that
reproduces readily at normal refrigeration temperatures but is killed at
normal cooking temperatures.
When pregnant I indulged my cravings for smoked salmon (lox) by cooking it
into my scrambled eggs and I melted tripple cream brie onto my toast!!
mmmmmm
After my babies were born I sent my husband home with instructions to bring
me a dozen oysters (and a lemon), a packet of crakers a large slice of very
ripe washed rind brie and pot of quince paste for my breakfast the next
morning.  (Sure beat the tablespoon of muesli, powdered eggs and soggy toast
the hospital kitchen served up and I am sure the staff thought I was
adhering to some weird ethnic (my family is maltese and look it) tradition
that was thought to bring my milk in!!)
hope this helps
Nina Berry
Australia