From:
Allyson Michaels <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:47:52 EST
   I was hoping to see if anyone could help me with this problem. I have
permission to post. I have been working with a mom and baby girl DOB 3/9/05. Mom
had a prolactin secreting pituitary tumor resected before she became pregnant.
Her pituitary is intact. She is hypothyroid on replacement. Baby breastfed
great from birth. Mom noted sore R nipple only within a day. Latch was good
without any mouth, tongue or palate issues. Breasts fuller by day 3-4 with less
soreness and increased swallows. By day 5-6 breasts softer w/ less swallows and
increased R nipple soreness. Started mom pumping w/ Symphony and baby w/
supplements as weight decreasing. Mom got only 10-15 cc's from both breasts.
Discussed herbs. Now taking fenugreek and blessed thistle. When mom pumps in place of
feeds she now gets 10cc from R still but 1-1 1/2 oz from L and notes
increased swallows at breast. I have talked to her about Domperidone. At my suggestion
she had her thyroid levels and a prolactin level checked. Thyroid is low norm
but endocrinologist doesn't want to increase replacement as it is a high dose
already. Her prolactin at 1 hr post feed was 200 at one week. Her prolactin
when tumor present had been 600. Her R nipple pain is less as she thinks this
is due to feeling somewhat fuller.
    So my question is this--what is causing her supply to remain low? She had
breast changes with pregnany but also had same when tumor present.
    Thank you for all words of wisdom.

Allyson Michaels RN, IBCLC
Charlottesville, VA