From:
Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:10:56 -0800
While I do not recommend milk sharing, I continue to
hear stories of milk sharing in my area.
Circumstances range from medical challenge to
convenience, with adoptive babies in their own arena.

I am not promoting or criticizing the practice, just
reporting that I continue to hear mothers' stories.  I
suspect it is more common than we know.  I share
information on milk banks and articles on health
concerns with the practice of informal milk sharing
whenever possible.  But I wonder sometimes how many
mothers share milk "under wraps" with little
information about concerns -- particularly for babies
with health challenges.

I suspect that the widespread use of pumps in the US,
and the sharing of pumps (I know!  I know!),
introduces the question of sharing more often.  It's
just plain getting easier to borrow a cup of milk.

Susan Johnson MFA, IBCLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA