From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 11:21:25 -0700
From the responses to this inquiry, I think people are missing one key
phrase:  "IN OUNCES".

> >Vicky York asks for confirmation of the recommendation that "a baby should
> >get 2 1/2 times his body weight in ounces in 24 hours. I am wondering how
> >long this formula is in effect. 2 months, 5 months?"

For a 7 lb baby times 2.5 = 17.5 oz of "liquid nourishment" per day.
For a 10 lb baby: times 2.5 = 25 oz per day.

This is comparable to the other common calculation of 2.5 to 2.7 oz per
pound of body weight per day we see in many of our favorite reference
books. The low end will just maintain body weight. The higher end is to
allow for growth. I think many people use these figures for moms who are
pumping their EBM for hospitalized babies so they can know how much is
"enough" or "normal". I have used it on the Pediatric floor when I'm
called to help a BFing mom. Often I read notes in the chart like this: 3
d.o. 7 lb baby hosp for jaundice (count is 20) & dehydration. Mom says
she feeds 10 min breast & 2-3 oz ABM every 3 hours; changes diapers 4-5
times a day.

I know, this info doesn't compute. So I have lots of questions to ask of
mom and of the DR & RN assigned to this baby. But if this baby is REALLY
getting 16 to 24 oz ABM a day, and REALLY BFing 10 min x 8 feeds, and
only putting out 4-5 diapers, something's wrong. Exactly how long and
how effectively is mom BFing this baby? Why only 4-5 diapers when baby
is consuming 16 to 24 oz ABM per day? Is the ABM mixed or diluted
properly? Is she saving $$ on expensive disposables by not changing
often enough? These are just some of my first questions.

What bothers me most is not the DR's reliance on medical tests, but his
complete lack of written comment about mom's stated info. Of course,
everything resolves well because baby is on IVs, mom gets free
ready-to-feed ABM & baby takes the whole thing at each feeding, etc...
plus hours under the bili lights... & baby goes home in 2-3 days when
the bili count has dropped to ~<10.

Sorry for the tangent.

Phyllis Adamson, CBE, IBCLC