From:
Linda Inglis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 1996 11:01:17 EDT
The WIC Program in the United States has been directed not to allow Cow
milk or Goat milk as a substitute or supplement for breastmilk or Infant
formulas.  This has been in effect since January of 1996.  The Food and
Consumer Service of the United States Department of Agriculture groups
these two milks (Goat and Cow) together.  They site the following
recommendation from the American Academy of Pediatrics on the use of Whole
Cow's Milk in Infancy.  It is found in:  "Pediatrics", Vol 89, No.6, page
1105, June 1992.  This article reviews the history of the recommendations
by the AAP in this matter.  This should "enlighten" the physicians
currently recommending this in your area of Puerto Rico.  You may also
want to contact the Nutrition Section of the Puerto Rico WIC Program for
further information on this matter.  Hope this helps-Thanks to Jan Barger
for the Nutritient Breakdown of the three milks.  We have many questions
here on the East Coast about the use of Goats Milk and we will place this
table in our file.

Linda Inglis BS, IBCLC
Delaware WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator