Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 16:07:06 +0000
Denise,

I have worked with NICU Mums for 10 years, and have found that it is not
safe to suggest that the night expression be dropped even if the milk
supply is abundant to the point of excess.

We never know what will happen tomorrow, or next week. Although the prem
infant may be making good progress now, unfortunately set-backs do occur
sometimes. This can mean that breastfeeding may not happen for another
few weeks, or even months.

It is hard for most Mums to keep a full milk supply going by expressing
only, when they are doing it for so long.
It is much, much easier to reduce the supply once the baby is fully
breastfed and about to go home, than try to increase it if a drop in
supply did unfortunately occur with reduced expressing.

Although we all know that a supply can be increased with increased
breastfeeding, it has been my experience with prems that this can be a
struggle because they do not feed vigorously and well in the early
stages.
Much better to be safe than sorry.

Regards,
--
Carolyn Westcott RN IBCLC Southampton UK
mailto:[log in to unmask]