From:
Jeanne Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 07:23:04 -0600
I have had a couple of unusual conversations with an expectant mother
from West Palm Beach.  She is due in 2 weeks, this will be her first
live birth.  She is convinced that she will be unable to produce milk
for her baby, and is also convinced that her baby will be unable to
tolerate infant formula.

She has called the Mothers' Milk Bank at Austin requesting a supply of
pasteurized milk to have available at the time of her birth.  Our
standards do not allow us to dispense donor milk without a
prescription.  No one who is involved in this mother's care believes she
will be unable to produce milk, and thus no one is willing to write the
prescription.  The donor milk is essentially an expensive security
blanket.

This mother called me yesterday saying she had an appointment with a
Lactation Consultant, but she was sure the LC "wouldn't believe" her,
either.

If this Lactation Consultant is on Lactnet, would you contact me
privately?  If there is a LC in the West Palm Beach area, would you
please email me?

This mother has several concerns that are not being addressed by her
practitioners.  I believe what she is looking for is someone who will
acknowledge her concerns.  Regarding the donor milk, I do not believe
she will need it, but I believe she thinks so strongly that she needs
it, she may be unable to lactate without it.

Thanks for your help.
Jeanne Mitchell
Mothers' Milk Bank at Austin