Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 09:50:39 +0000
Elishiva - agree with you that starting a bottle with a baby of say around
12 weeks with a mother who is due to go back to work the next week (or day)
can mean a lot of stress for the mother and baby, when the baby totally
refuses it.

But bottle refusal can happen earlier, too, and what happens then is you
risk having weeks  of stress as the baby continues to make a fuss. Of
course when I am asked about this, I usually suggest the mother just
forgets about it for the time being.  If it's important to her to have the
bottle feeding sorted by the time she goes back, she can always try again
later (there's also the usual tip about having someone else give the
bottle, too, instead of the mother).

There are often ways round this whole thing. Sometimes mothers can change
their working/travelling hours to fit in with the baby's needs, so the baby
only misses out on very few feeds - and these ones can always be given by
cup or spoon.

Like Nikki suggests, some babies - and we'll have all seen this - adapt to
everything you ask them to do without a problem.  Some babies don't. Some
babies do sometimes.

The trouble is, we can't predict which babies are which.

Elishiva, I really don't think the 'only rule' is the later the better.
There are no rules!

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc UK