From:
Mary Kay Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 16:43:27 -0500
I saw a mom today who came in for a follow up visit c/o sore nipples.
One of her problems is that she was using an Evenflow pump on HIGH. She
said she was pumping because "he won't latch on and stay on." This
little guy has a short frenulum. As I tried to explain the sequelae of
the situation, I could see the parents were skeptical. I did write a
consultation report for them to take to the pediatrician on Monday (not
one of our peds, either) that explained my observations, i.e. nipple
damage due to etc...potential for blah, blah. They are concerned about
"hurting the baby" and seem to be content to pump and bottle feed. My
question is: are there any information sheets written for parents? I
know what I have to support clipping to communicate with the physician.
But these young people were clearly not grasping what I said and are
committed to giving breastmilk to their baby. Any ideas?
mary kay smith, IBCLC
Romeoville IL