From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 14:33:26 -0600
Further to our discussion of whether to attend formula rep's talks. (and
realize this is not just to address Brenda's specific recent encounter, but
all talks like this).

Just who is attending these talks? All the nursing staff?  How can this time
expenditure be justified by adminstration?  Is this on the nurse's own time?
If so, I assume the goodies must be pretty generous to attract them to
attend.
I think the nursing shortage is just as bad in the US as in Canada, I find
it hard to believe that this waste of manpower and time is accepted.

Why do the nurses need this information?  I assume that the formula that is
used in the hospital, is decided by a manager and/or purchaser?  The nurse
would just go to a supply closet and get it - its not like she has to make a
medical decision of which formula to use, does she?  Does she need this
information, in order to recommend a formula for the parents when they
leave?  Then the use of nurses as salesperson is pretty obvious.

In many corporations, professional buyers are used, to deal with
salespeople.  These professional buyers are used to sales tactics, and are
trained to use factual analysis to make a purchase decision.  I know as a
salesperson, it was much harder to make a sale, if you had to deal with a
buyer, rather than a dept manager or secretary.  You had to have your
information straight, and the corporation was more likely to get a better
deal.

I would suggest that you approach your manager to suggest the same
situation.  Elect the most knowledgeable and saavy person to attend the talk
and deal with the rep.  This may be the IBCLC.  They can collect any
information that is pertinent, summarize it, filter out the marketing
claims, and add in any pertinent research or facts needed to analyze or
counter the claims, and then present this information to the work unit.
This controls the flow of information.  In the same way a corporation would
not allow you onto the factory floor to snoop in the corners, slow down
production and grill the lowly employees.  They use a trained expert (the
salesperson) to present their case.

In Brenda's case, (assuming she is a senior LC, and that is why her manager
wants her to attend) Brenda might agree to meet with the rep and attend his
talks, on the condition that no other non-LC or less knowledgeable person
does.  She can summarize the information and present anything that is needed
to be shared to the staff.

As a taxpayer in Canada, I would be shocked to think that huge amounts of
highly-paid health professional time is spent in attending these talks.  If
one calculated the wage expense vs the cost of the donuts or treats, the
formula rep gets off pretty cheap.

Janice Reynolds