From:
Pia Ruohotie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:40:02 +0200
Hello all!

This day has been one of those when you wonder why we do the work we do.
Today the leading journal of medicine in Finland published an article about
"Safe baby-friendliness at the terms of the baby". Two Professors and five
Docents from leading University hospitals stated that breastfeeding
promotion and Ten Steps - program are not evidence based medicine and
nursing if it includes avoidance of supplementation and pacifier use. They
based their opinions about supplementation on Kramers research. They
promoted pacifier use by saying that it prevents sudden death syndrome
(Hauck et al 2003). Their writing showed a total lack of awardness and
knowledge about breastfeeding and lactation.

I think that this article has probably something to do with a co-insidence
that during World Breastfeeding Week (in Scandinavia at October) we got
wide publishity at media with our media alert about the low percentage of
exclusive breastfeeding in Finland. I called a friend and experienced
midwife (2005 IBCLC candidate) and heard that Finlands Midwives Association
and BFHI-educators Association are writing a reply for the article.

I am so frustrated. When I was at home thinking this article I got a call
from a mother of 29 weeks (now 35+) twins who needed information and
support to breastfeed her children. She has no professional lactation
support at the hospital because we mostly dont have it here at Finland. We
volunteers do what we can. We do have WHO 18 hour education for
midwife-students and public health nurses. Many midwives and public health
nurses have that education also and some of them are enthusiastic about
breastfeeding and have enough education and experiense to give adequate
information.

Best wishes,
Pia Ruohotie, RN, breastfeeding counsellor and bf support group leader
Education Advisor at Finlands Breastfeeding Support Association
Mother of two daughters
 From Helsinki, Finland, Europe