From:
Pat Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 08:39:14 -0600
Sometimes I think this is just about words, I don't use the word reflux
(or colic) when I talk to clients, I call anything that doesn't shoot
straight out, spitting, talk about it as a norm and a laundry problem,
and the fact that formula stains and breastmilk doesn't.
Most of my clients then see it as an expected sort of thing and don't
get too excited about it.
My oldest was a spitter to the max, didn't quit until he was almost a
year, the amounts were large and if he hadn't been gaining, you would
have thought he was starving.
This was 26 years ago, I had a disagreement with my ped about a number
of things and so got all my well baby care at a public health clinic so
no one had to know that I was not following medical advice, ie starting
solids at two weeks, supplementing with formula since he was low weight
for height and so on.
I had the advantage of knowing that everyone in my family is low weight
for height until adulthood, wish I could say that now.

Pat Thomas PHN
Winona County Community Health Department
Winona, Minnesota