From:
Anne Andrianos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2007 06:34:05 -0700
Clarification please! Comments made by Dr. McKenna refer to baby sleeping prone on the mother. Is there a difference in the effects of sleeping prone on the father's chest? or a care givers chest?

And, in Central New York, a recent death occurred when a baby, sleeping prone, slipped off the father's chest and baby was wedged between the body and the back of the couch, and died. When we are teaching new families, the wording is so very important...and it is important to include information not only about the sleep position but sleep location...and the couch is a very dangerous place to be sleeping with a baby.

BTW, the SIDS group, First Candle now has supportive information about breastfeeding on its web page and included a full page picture of a baby at breast in its annual report.  I have been encouraged by the NYS Center for SID to include breastfeeding information in my Safe Sleep presentations. Progress is being made on their part. Anne Andrianos, Syracuse, NY, USA

Anne Andrianos

Anne Andrianos