From:
Judith Hayman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 16:16:55 -0400
Elayne,

My local BF Network has pulled off two events of the sort that you describe.  And we are just as rural as you are.

First off we had a cracker-jack speaking team.  They come for mileage only and are affiliated with the nearest teaching hospital as an outreach education. The team included a Neonatologist, a pediatrician, a family doctor, a Pediatrician nutritionist, a community LC and a hospital LC. Because of the MD contact we were able to offer both CERPS and MD education credits.  Free.

The first two times we charged _nothing_.  We had decent caterers and good food.  You have that part covered.  Now that didn't entice the docs, but it did entice every other type of breastfeeding advocate around.  LLL, breast pump rental agents, pharmacists, dietitians, physio's, LC's from close and far, physician office staff and nurses in public health, hospitals, community services, etc.  There were a few physicians and only a few.  We had 75 at each of these two events and they all went away with the same message about BF.  We ARE making inroads, as people are slower to act and more likely to "remind" the docs about alternatives, as well as the clients they contact.

We chose evening events, as we felt the largest number of people might be able to attend.  Feedback suggests not making it a night when the weather is liable to be too good, or when a major sports final is on <G>.

We advertised WAY in advance and sent materials out to the adjacent jurisdictions to pull the biggest possible audience.  The materials were simple and expenses associated were low.  We put it on the nets.  We craftily requested subsidies from the local hospitals, local pharmacies, and local medical association.  These cost us time but no money.  At the second event 7 doctors registered.  That is huge.  The point is we got a hearing and will get another, because we established our bona fides.

With luck, you might be able to have some left over for those resources.

Judith

Judith A. Hayman, RN, BSc, BScN, IBCLC
Public Health Nurse, Lactation Consultant