From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2007 07:25:12 -0800
I don't believe I have ever INITIATED the use of a bottle to assess sucking
- however, I make many visits to mothers who have already started using a
bottle - so then I ask them how the baby sucks at the bottle and if it is
appropriate and timely I observe a bottle feeding.

Many behaviors can be seen when babies are at the bottle that can give us
clues as to what is happening in the breastfeeding - moms even report that
they "take just as long" (which then makes me think it is NOT a supply issue
but a "milking" issue) or that the baby makes the bottle nipple collapse, or
that the baby seems to choke and gulp...

Please, let's not get into a discussion against this tool (again) - it is
just that, a TOOL - and can be used to support a breastfeeding baby or not
depending on how it is used.

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBC:C
California, USA