From:
Pia Ruohotie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 21:55:01 +0300
Hello again!

I:
>"When a mother has to cut dairy products
>(cow milk protein) from her diet, she must eat LOT to get enough calories and
>proteins."

Nikki:
>Where does this bias towards dairy products come from? There are plenty
>of cultures where dairy is not used and the mothers are fine. There is
>nothing magical about dairy; just an incredible emphasis on it (at least in
>the USA)  from a deeply entrenched and powerful dairy industry.

I dont believe either that we all must eat dairy products.
That industry is too well promoted in Scandinavia, too!

BUT if a mother loses too much weight AFTER she has stopped
eating dairy products it means in many cases that she isint
eating enough calories and probaply proteins, too. As is
propably in this case we are talking about. Many nursing
mothers (and I know too much of them, allergies seems to be
common these days) that are on strickt diets tell that they
are tired and lose weight rapidly if they are not eating
enough. Some have stopped breastfeeding because they got
fatiqued and lost too much weight. And many have noticed
how their situation got better after they started to
take as good care of themselves as they took of their
children.

When I stopped eating anything that conteined cow milk protein
a dietitian calculated that I had recieved 1/6 of my daily
calories and proteins from dairy products. If I or anybody else
who are in similar situation had not compensated that amount of
nutritions I certainly would have lost weight rapidly. Which
I did later when I didnt ate as much as in the beginning.

Yours,
Pia Ruohotie, mother of two daughters
RN, mother-to-mother bf support group leader
From Helsinki, Finland (Europe)