From:
Dawn Kersula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2007 16:52:34 -0400
Lee Galasso notes that it's hard to figure out what's "normal" in a society
where we are constantly messing with these elemental processes of birth and
breastfeeding. We have been working hard here for the past ten years to get
breastfeeding going well. (Vaginal birth babies - over 90% now to breast
within the first hour - and cesarean, we're working on it but almost always
within 2 hrs.)

We REGULARLY see moms with transitional milk at 48 hours. I'm talking
first-timers as well as experienced breastfeeding moms. (Usually moms will
first say that their breasts feel warm, and heavier. I usually palpate for
full alveolae and have mom and dad palpate. The dads are just precious to
see - the look of wonder on their faces.) If moms become engorged, it's a
red flag. This was a real eye opener for me as I was an LLLL picking up the
pieces before I finished nursing school and came to work here!

PS I just got an advance copy of an article on interrupted breastfeeding
moms in US hospitals that will appear in ADVANCE for Nurses. They
interviewed me and several other IBCLCs, and the article has lots of ideas
on ways to give moms more privacy as well as better breastfeeding help. Also
- Lactnet gets a plug in the second paragraph (something like, an online
group of lc's who discuss the newest and most exciting research.....ha!
that's us on a good day, right??!!)

Dawn Kersula in Vermont