From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2008 23:34:07 +0100
No fat is usually tilted at less than 5% fat, for gall bladders.  So
that would be no added fat of any kind, but there should still be fats
in her food naturally (so, for instance, she can eat a banana, yes?  1.3
grams of fat in a banana!)

On a genuinely completely no fat diet, as long as the mother has fat
stores, and is taking in carb, there will be fat in her breastmilk.  If
she carries hip fat, there will likely be DHA in the milk as well, which
is the real issue.  Fats in, reflects fats out, and a baby's brain needs
DHA and other essential fatty acids, for neural growth and eye
function.  Recent research should that women who carry hip fat, store
DHA in the fat cells (makes sense, don't it?)

So she may wish to talk to a nutritionist, about putting in 'natural
food content' fats in on ALA/DHA.  (Just as the banana has a fat load,
that would no doubt count as 'zero' in the gall bladder equations, so, I
imagine, taking in flaxseeds as flaxseeds (as opposed to flaxseed oil),
wouldn't break her 'zero fat' restriction, or spirulina?)

You don't mention how old the baby is?  If the baby is under six months,
she may want to refer to a nutritionist to make sure her ALA/DHA intake
is enough from natural sources and doesn't go over her fat limit.
(Again, in her 'zero fat' is she allowed nuts and seeds!)  If baby is
over 6 months, she may just want to consider making sure she puts
ALA/DHA rich foods into the baby's diet.   (The body uses ALA to make
DHA  - ALA is actually the essential fatty acid, DHA isn't!)

http://www.007b.com/breastfeeding_intelligence_diet.php

Hope that makes sense.

Morgan Gallagher