From:
Sarah Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 1999 19:30:03 -0400
I just came back from my second visit in two days to a mom whose baby has
not latched and nursed since birth.  She had an epidural, does not know
with which meds.  The baby was discharged without ever having had a good
feeding.  Mother says that no one asked.  She was pumping with one of the
pumps meant for woking mothers and cup feeding the EBM.  No one seems to
have told her how much milk the baby needs.  From what she says the baby
only got about 5 ounces a day after hospital discharge until I saw her
yesterday.  I did tell her to feed the baby, whatever it takes.  This
afternoon the baby almost took the breast but still seems not to know
what to do there.
Plan-
1- use a rental pump to improve output.  It seems to be very low
2- finger feed (Allison- are you reading this?- I have some questions)
using the EBM and whatever supplement the pediatrician suggests
3- skin to skin contact
4- try and see how the baby reacts when trying to nurse but do not force
the issue for the immediate future.

My questions-
a- could she have passed the point of not being able to bring in a full
supply?  She did not report much engorgement.
b- What else might help both the milk supply and the baby's latch on
problems?
c- How can we get the MDs to realize that these l&d interventions do
effect the baby?

TIA
Sarah

Sarah Friend Barnett   LLLL, IBCLC
Bronx (New York City), NY  -  [log in to unmask]
" You are not obliged to finish the task,
 neither are you free to neglect it."       R. Tarfon