Date:
Fri, 20 May 2005 11:50:14 EDT
I have received many requests for copies of the legislative materials that
Senator Harkin has authored. Please e-mail me directly if you want copies as I
cannot send attachments to Lactnet posts. I should mention that these pieces
of  legislation are parts of a much larger bill. Senator Harkin also plans to
combine just the 4 breastfeeding pieces into a separate stand-alone bill to
help move the breastfeeding agenda along. Some of you have asked about whether
 the bills are intended to legislate aspects of the Code. These bills were
not  designed to directly address Code issues, but the bill that pertains to
aspects of the labeling of infant formula and the bill pertaining to the Baby
Friendly Hospital Initiative certainly contain pieces that are relevant.

The Code in the US will be covered in depth during a 2 day Code  training
workshop that NABA REAL is conducting July 1-2 in Washington, DC, just  prior to
the La Leche League International conference. These bills will of  course be
discussed. If you are interested, please contact me for more  information on
registering or financially supporting this Code improvement  effort.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA