Date:
Sat, 27 May 2000 14:39:18 EDT
Barbara writes:
<< I offer this brief case study as a plea to consider that tools are just
 tools, and that often LCs are doing the best they can to try to think
 outside the box in their efforts to help a mom. >>
One thing that struck me immediately about this situation, is that whoever
suggested the shield to the mom with the nursing baby, did the one thing we
all try to do, she solved the problem! The problem with the solution was that
is was not acceptable to the MOM. I wonder if the mom told the first LC this,
actually. Here is where our profession gets trickier than any other I can
think of - there are, as has been mentioned, often several ways to get to a
breastfeeding goal, and sometimes it comes down to solving with what is in
our personal arsenal, as well as what our professional skills are. Some moms
and some LCs are not aware of homeopathics and so they are not "available" as
solutions. Maybe there would be later problems from the shield as solution,
maybe not. After all homeopathics are an intervention too, but are more
acceptable as intervention than shields for a variety of reasons, some of
them scientifically- based, and some cause we just might feel that way... I
guess because I have so little experience, I often ask myself "under what
cirsumstances would I have suggested the same?" and see what I can learn from
that. I really appreciate this forum for its case-specific scenarios as well
as its potential to move out into wider philsophical discussions.
Thanks, publicly, to all who participate,
Judy LeVan Fram, Brooklyn, NY