From:
Laura Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 16:07:04 EDT
I received a note this morning before making lactation rounds on our mother-
baby unit from a nurse who is an experienced surgical nurse (not experienced
OB nurse). She is, also, not the most knowledgeable about BF & not its biggest
supporter, although she has often reminded me that she breastfed her 2
children for several months. It seems that a newly delivered mother asked this
nurse if the lactation person was going to visit. This mom is bottle-feeding &
as an LC I only visit the breastfeeding moms. This mom told her that her
friends have said that the nurses at this hospital make you feel guilty for
giving your baby a bottle!!!!!! Of course NO one tries to talk any mom into
breastfeeding. Most of the bottle-feeding moms that I care for as a staff
nurse don't even know that I'm a lactation consultant.

So, do I feel good that so many nurses are encouraging breastfeeding &
discouraging bottle-feeding in breastfed babies? Do I feel guilty because we
"made" someone feel guilty?!!! Why do some people have such a hard time with
those who have educated themselves & try to pass along that knowledge to
others? I have been learning about & supporting breastfeeding for many years &
feel like I have to "fight" for the right of babies to BF.   Sorry-starting to
rant!

I have started thinking of myself as a breastfeeding preservationist. I'm not
trying to convert the world, just make a little difference in my corner of it.

Laura Hart, BSN, IBCLC
Hospital staff nurse & lactation consultant in Central Florida