Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 17:09:46 -0400
>Doc says baby is anemic, "we wouldn't let anyone walkaround that way,"

I don't know if the Doc noticed, but 2 month old babies do not walk around.

>Wants baby to get Tri-Vi-Sol, an over the counter infant vitamin including
iron, 1ml/day, with f/u CBC in another month.

Actually Tri-Vi-Sol does not contain iron.  There is no point in the baby
getting it.

I would relax and wait for the next hematocrit.  Please note that there are
other causes of low hematocrit besides low iron.  Some causes of low
hematocrit should *not* be treated with extra iron.

Why would this baby be anemic anyway?  Why was the blood taken anyway?  I am
not sure that the hemoglobin or hematocrit are abnormally low.  But
remember:

1. sometimes blood is poorly taken.
2. sometimes labs make mistakes.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC