From:
Jeanne Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 07:00:03 -0600
Several people have asked me to post the URL's for the CDC and OSHA
standards regarding human milk.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hip/universa.htm
This is a long document that defines Universal Precautions, which do not
apply to human breast milk.  The paragraph about human milk is at the
bottom.

OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Administration, US Dept. of Labor)
http://www.osha-slc.gov/OshDoc/Interp_data/I19921214.html
This is a letter clarifying that human milk is not considered a
potentially infectious material.

By the way, I have heard on 2 separate occassions that OSHA requires
expressed milk to be stored in a separate refrigerator from regular
food.  I have searched their website and can find NO documentation of
this.  It appears that some states and some regions define the standards
as they see fit.  I want a national interpretation on this.  I may make
some calls.  I'll be sure to let y'all know if I find out anything.

--
Jeanne Mitchell, Austin, TX
http://www.flash.net/~xanth/home.htm