From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 12:06:20 EST
I'd appreciate any suggestions for treatment of blocked ducts in a mom of a
3.5 mos premie (at home) who is exclusively pumping.  I saw her one week ago
and she had blocked ducts in upper aspect and outer aspect of L breast which
unplugged after 2 days of heat, massage, gentle use of back massager on affected
area, castor oil packs and increase in pumping frequency.  Then about 24 hr
later plugs returned, and did not respond to above tx, so yesterday, ultrasound
per Jack Newman's protocol given with so far no positive results.  Weather
permitting (we're in the middle of a snowstorm here), she'll have another
ultrasound today.

She's on lecithin but I realize that takes time to be effective; also told
her to inc salt (can someone elaborate on that further, please) dc caffeine,
rest.  Tried changing pump flange but ineffective in milk removal.  Also
suggested trying Classic pump which she hasn't yet done.  She's been using Symphony,
rental from hosp and very "attached to it," as she's been able to increase her
milk supply over these past months of pumping; this baby, aside from brief use
of HMF in hospital, has been exclusively breastmilk fed.  And of course,
breastfeeding is recommended, (at HV unable to initiate breastfeeding, w/wo nipple
shield) which she stopped doing about a week or two prior to my seeing her
due to long, ineffective feeds.  Today I suggested she try baby at breast even
for a few minutes before pumping to try to stimulate more MER's.  I was
contacted by this mom per her OB's referral specifically for the blocked ducts, so am
also respecting her intent to pump and feed, and offering help with
breastfeeding tho not pushing.

Thank you for any insights.  Also discussed lymphatic drainage and
acupuncture; and she's on phytolocca and hepar, and nipple blebs have been r/o as well
as thrush. I have searched the archives, too; just looking for something new
possibly.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC