From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Feb 2006 10:39:12 EST

In a message dated 2/10/2006 12:07:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

After  their milk is in, I teach them to pump and massage until all of the
drops are  completely gone for 2 minutes, up to 30 minutes (to give the skin a
break).  If it takes longer, I ask that they pump again sooner than they  had
planned.

Hi Maureen,
I know this is what is told to NICU moms but I find that many do not comply
with these instructions and therefore either pump less often or stop  pumping.
 Asking a mom to take >30 minutes at night to pump is a lot to  ask and the
night pumping is the one they tend to stop the soonest.

You also wrote:
    "I also have found problems when someone has mentioned  any time limit on
pumping of 10-15 minutes. "
I do tell them to cut back on the time, add massage, watch the flow and  stop
when the flow has stopped.  I tell them to stop after 10 minutes, take  a
short break and than pump again for about 10 minutes.
The problem is a pump does not mimic a baby.  It is constant suckling
cycles, there is no pausing like the baby does.  I am not stating that a  pump has
constant suction.  But the release after 3 seconds is not the same  as the
babies pauses.
I want moms to establish a bountiful milk supply but I also want to
establish a plan they can find workable.
I think it is fine to give directions but follow closely on the reaction a
mom has to the directions, what is her home life like and offer her other
pumping routines if the first one will not work for her.
Ann Perry, RN IBCLC
Boston, MA