From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2005 13:55:21 -0600
If you are not familiar with his site, it might be worth a visit - Dr. Brian
Palmer, Dentist
http://www.brianpalmerdds.com/Default.htm

He gives good evidence for the relationship between breastfeeding and
formation of the oral cavity, and SIDS, mouthbreathing, malocclusions, etc.
Artificial nipples (bottlefeeding, pacifiers, thumb sucking, etc) all can
have a significant impact on the formation of the palate.

I couldn't see that he follows through to link this with speech issues, but
it is easy to think that it would (I'm not a speech therapist).
Anecdotally, my 2 extended nursing dd's speak very clearly, while all around
me in my town, many (if not most) of the children have many speech problems,
requiring speech therapy from the school therapist.  These children would
all been bfed for 3 months or less, or not at all. (small town where I
basically know how long everyone breastfeeds).

I can't help but hear people with unclear speech all around us, and wonder
about this (especially since we know from cultural averages, that most of
these people would not have been breastfeed much or at all).

Janice Reynolds
Saskatchewan, Canada