From:
Marit Olanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:43:37 +0100
> From:    Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Breastfeeding and alcohol guidelines in Sweden
>
> Interesting that it's the midwives who are skeptical.

I have just written a blog post on the subject in Swedish.
The background is, as said in the article, the changed guidelines on
breastfeeding and alcohol consumption. The National Food
Administraton cannot give guidelines on other life style issues than
food and drink. The problem I guess the midwives see is that there is
no Swedish authority that points out other problems with alcohol
consumption when having a baby like impaired impulse control or that
you shouldn't bedshare with a baby after drinking alcohol, which
might set babies at risk. That has nothing to do with  breastfeeding
though.

Here in the "vodka belt" in northern Europe there is also a strong
culture of drinking merely to get drunk. There were enormous problems
with alcohol in the 18th and 19th century in Sweden. "Continental
drinking" - 1-2 glasses of wine with a good dinner, is still regarded
as a new.

Marit Olanders
editor of Amningsnytt, Sweden