From:
Lynnette Stiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 21:06:59 -0600
First I was angry. Then I was hurt. Now I just wonder which way to move to
convince them.... THEY are the "Powers that Be"in the small hospital in
which I work. I am Labor/Del/PP/Nursery RNC and IBCLC.  They agree that BF
is the best etc.,etc.,but, here is a brief scenario:

The administrator agreed (in May) to have me work up the information on Baby
Friendly Hospital Initiative. About 2 months ago I presented the info, the
documentation, and the application and admin. letter to be signed and mailed
for application  for a letter of Intent to Become Baby Friendly.  It took
two months to get an answer(during which time I became noticably more and
more invisible):

They object to Step 6-The cost of buying formula; Step7- Addressing Rooming
In. "We intend to continue to offer mothers the option of returning their
baby to the nursery for periods longer than 1 hour.";and the cost of the
application fee as stated $750. They also state "we already accomplished
many of the criteria described in the Baby-Friendly guidelines.
Finally,"We believe that the initiative is too restrictive for our institution."

So fellow Lactnetters, what do you suggest? Any words of wisdom which may
convince them to take another look? Or is it time for me to "lay low" for a
cooling off period?

I learned that the hand/double pumps (La-t-na) we now have available in the
hosp will be replaced by hospital classic pumps that have no capacity for
use by moms at home. There are no outlets for moms to purchase GOOD pumps
for about 50 miles....and at quite a cost.

Can you tell I feel pretty beaten down at the moment.  What is that famous
line about challenges?
Please e mail me any thoughts... There is a Staff Meeting on Tues AM---Maybe
I can try once more.  Thanks for letting me whine, and please forgive my
taking advantage of you collective sympathetic ears!
Sad (at the moment), Lynne