From:
Liz Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2006 17:00:34 -0400
It is a  bit ironic that, in the same Lactnet digest, there are two separate
describing a commerical milk bank that receives donor milk and turns around
and sells it for profit after re-engineering.

This is new territory for us as IBCLCs.  I am very nervous about the way
science and technology are racing ahead of our ability to build ethical
(moral ... religious ... name your flavor) constructs to evaluate whether we
want to be a party to this stuff.

It would behoove us all to check the details where we can.  If an IBCLC
recommends that a mother should (or shouldn't) offer her precious breastmilk
to anyone other than her own baby, it implies a *professional* endorsement
of the enterprise.  Now -- the enterprise may well be admirable:  i.e.
offering breastmilk for the cancer patient, or wet-nursing the baby of a
mother who is sick, injured --or worse.

But that brings us back to the original premise:  know the details before
you are giving the thumbs up or thumbs down on a suggestion of human milk
donation.  Generally speaking, the more hands (or strata) that are involved
in the enterprise, the more difficult it is to find out just who really is
going to benefit from the use/study/sale/commericalization of the
breastmilk.

Liz Brooks, JD, IBCLC
Wyndmoor, PA, USA