Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:37:05 +0100
>I have just come in on this discussion, as I was on a writing deadline.
>However, I do not think that everyone has the same idea about breastfeeding
>needing "discretion,"..some women feel more comfortable just breastfeeding
in public

<snip>

It's a personal thing for each mother to decide for herself, of
course it is, and she will decide based on culture, background,
emotion, whatever. If a mother wants help and support to bf with *or*
without a scarf, blanket, cover or tent.....I'll give that help and
support.

What would be truly dismaying is if anyone whose task it is to
support breastfeeding women somehow decided it was 'better' to be
'discreet' and that their own personal levels of comfort/ideas of
appropriate behaviour  are the ones others should emulate.

We should at the very least be promoting the normalness of
breastfeeding wherever the mother and child happen to be. The public
may expect 'discretion'  and some bf women (and breastfeeding
supporters)  may be happy to meet those expectations on a personal
level, but it's a real shame if anyone is actually  promoting
anything less than 'do it how you want, where you want, and when you
want' in what they say.

Heather Welford Neil

NCT bfc, tutor, UK