From:
Julie Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:09:19 -0400
I am an LC in the NICU and over the past few years it seems like the breastfeeding expectations for the preemie in the NICU have changed.  We used to assist new families off to a great start with breastfeeding.  Now it seems the expectation of the NICU neonatologists is to send 34-36 week (correctd age) babies home.  They push oral feeding by bottle nipple and many babies only have latch attempts, so they aren't too tired to take their feedings by bottle.  They have really backed off breastfeeding and finishing NG.  They think too many babies just need a nipple shield and they will breastfeed.  Their plan is to have the LC work with the couplets on an outpatient basis to learn to breastfeed.  And as you might guess this has sabtoged successful breastfeeding.  What are other hospitals, NICU and LC experiencing?  Is this the new norm for preemies?  Please e-mail or post to the list what you are experiencing and if you have any research articles to back this up. Thank you in advance for any current information you can provide.
Tremendously Yours,
Julie RN, IBCLC