From:
Carol Tenneriello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2017 11:35:32 -0500
Hi,
PTP
I am going to see a mom tomorrow (for the first time) who is scheduled Weds am for a core biopsy of a lump in her breast that has been determined not to be a plugged duct.
(It will be with an 18 gauge needle which is a relatively large bore needle.)

 Its her 2nd baby is 7 wks old. Nursing going ok but baby gaining quite slowly. Nursing first child was problematic but I don’t know the details.  Radiologist says there is a somewhat increased risk for a fistula with nursing breasts. Says not clear about how much or if well documented. Suggests mom might want to decrease her supply because it might lower the risk. I have not been able to find much info in any books.

She has started to reduce nursing on the one side while increasing and pumping on the other. I am concerned about her reducing her supply when the baby is gaining so slowly but don’t have any specific knowledge to advise her differently. In the discussion we said the main problem with a fistula would probably be milk draining from it which is what the doc said but also said it increased the risk of an abcess. She said she already plans to remove milk immediately before the procedure.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.
Best,
Carol

Carol Tenneriello RN,IBCLC