From:
Deborah V Barr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 09:15:24 -0700
Ruth -
Welcome to LACTNET!  WIC stands for the "Special Supplemental
Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children."  It is a national,
government sponsored program in the US for low-income pregnant,
post-partum and nursing women, and children to the age of five.  It
provides nutrition education, breastfeeding support, vouchers for food,
and referrals to other programs.

In the US, WIC is controversial because it supplies infant formula to
low-income babies.  However, it is also the primary source for
breastfeeding support for low-income moms.  Believe me, working for a
program that does both makes my job quite interesting!

Debi VanderMey Barr
Breastfeeding Promotion Coordinator
Oregon WIC Program
Portland, Oregon