From:
Marsha Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2018 08:47:52 -0400
Treatment of mastitis with probiotics is in its infancy. In the published
studies the probiotics used are quite specific strains, not something
mothers in the US can purchase over the counter right now. Mothers can
purchase lactobacillus salivarius or lactobacillus fermentum, but not the
strains that were used in these studies, which is probably why ingesting
these do not work. There are 2 products that I know of, one in Spain and
one in Australia that use one of the studied strains--lactobacillus
fermentum CECT5716. The other strain looked at has been Lactobacillus
salivarius PS2 which is not yet commercialized. Bacteria are named by their
genus and species plus specific strain. We cannot lump all probiotics
together regarding their effectiveness when dealing with mastitis. Mammary
dysbiosis will continue to be studied and I welcome treatments and
prophylactic approaches other than antibiotics. I look forward to seeing
continued research in this area.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA