From:
Rowena Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 16:18:27 -0700
I have been watching hopefully for helpful information about milk
blisters, or "blebs", as I have seen them called.  Our group seems to
have had our share and then some. I have suspected them to be
associated with either current or past candidal infection but cannot
confirm this. I have found the following printed material to be of
limited value: "Use warm compresses before nursing so that the top of
the blister will come off during a feed. If that doesn't work, see
your HCP". (paraphrased) I have found that 1) moms with milk blisters
report VERY painful nursings, 2)the above advice doesn't always work
to uncover the ducts, 3)the tops of the blisters tend to grow back
almost immediately, 4)they will not heal if the mother does not keep
the tops of the ducts uncovered, i.e. the tops of the blisters OFF.
For whatever reason, the edges of the ducts become very irritated and
swollen, and they won't heal unless the ducts can remain open. Some
women report being engorged behind those ducts also (temporarily).Just
keeping the nipples moist with ointment will not cure this problem.
Interestingly, one of our moms struggled mightily with sore nipples
for months, seeing HCP's (some of whom did not examine the nipples!)
who offerred creams (anti-fungal, cortisone, A&D, and triple
antibiotic) and oral meds to combat presumed infections and eczema,
all to no avail. The dermatologist recommended weaning! We now have
determined that her problem is apparently tremendously persistant milk
blisters! Now that she is treating herself for those (by keeping the
ducts uncovered), she reports feeling much better! Whew!
I hope this is helpful.
Regards, Rowena Tucker LLLL,PA,IBCLC