Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:55:36 EDT
I had a call from a one of my childbirth students. She has a 31/2 mo old who
is totally nursing, she is a stay at home mom and over the last 4 days, he is
nursing hourly. Her breasts never feel full.  It seems kind of long for a
growth spurt (4 days of unrestricted nursing) without an improvement. We
explored the possibility that he is teething, she is not on any medication,
is not having additional stress. I did ask her to take a pregnancy test to
rule that out.  She has been through growth spurts before and knows what to
epect. Her periods have not returned. On Tuesday she will attend her bf group
and can use the scale to do a pre and post weight check. She did this
recently so she knows how much he usually takes in at a feed.  Says he seems
satisfied at the feedings, but an hour later wants to nurse again.  Plenty of
wet diapers, no BM for 3 days (but he is 31/2 mo, so that could be normal)
Anything else we can explore?
Thanks for any suggestions,
Linda Goldberg, RN, CCE, aspiring LC
hot and humid central Florida