Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jul 2011 08:46:34 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (42 lines)
Sounds like over supply and over active let down is a possibility. 

With my first (and second) I had over supply and a strong let down. My babies sputtered and broke suction to cope with the flow. My first gained enormously fast and spit up half of what he took in. Block feeding didn't slow things down for me. My supply and strong let down continued until well past a year. 

If I knew then what I knew now I would have used a more upright feeding position to help them cope better with the flow. 

In my opinion this is a laundry issue not a breastfeeding issue.  

Tania Archbold BSc IBCLC
Www.mothersnectar.ca

On 2011-07-01, at 0:23, Sue Meister <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Sorry this is long...Permission to post...spoke to mom on the phone. She's Gravida 3, para 3, vaginal  delivery with no complications, term baby. Nursed previous children with no problems. Baby is 4 weeks old now. Baby is spitting up  large volumes of breast milk  after almost every feeding, mom describes it as vomiting.  Baby is  gaining weight, past birth weight  by week 2. States baby was checked for post. TT. Baby's stools are normal, mom has lots of milk, has been nursing one breast per feeding. States baby is a noisy nurser, like baby is trying to catch his breath the whole time he nurses. Baby isn't gassy, but acts uncomfortable, wants to nurse q 30 min to1 hr.  She has attempted a dairy elimination diet x 1 week, is keeping baby upright after feeding. Nothing  seems to help with the vomiting although she knows that 1 week on the diet may not be long enough. She denies any allergies but is taking acidophilus tablets, no other meds. Pediatrician isn't concerned since baby is gaining weight. 
> Mom is frustrated and is about ready to quit nursing and give formula. I remember reading something about a possibly structural issue with a noisy nurser but can't remember what. Any suggestions for this mom  would be appreciated. 
> Thanks in advance, hoping I can get some ideas that she hasn't already tried. 
> 
> Sue IBCLC
> southern CA
> 
>             ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2