From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 22:44:17 EST
In a message dated 2/7/1 7:13:41 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< The dentist stated to the mother that all babies should be weaned by 12
months to help prevent this problem.  Can any of you comment on having seen
this in your practice or way to handle the dentist's comment? >>

It is extremely common for dentists to tell mothers that dental caries are
caused by nursing and even to "order" mothers to wean their toddlers. A
friend recently had a dentist "sit her down" and proceed to tell her how
irresponsible she is to be nursing a 2 yr old. He asked if her PCP (primary
care provider) was aware that she was nursing and wanted to call him to
discuss the situation! Needless to say, she found another dentist. Many
mothers are not so wise. Dental caries are caused by bacteria in the mouth.
Adding food to the environment allows decay to occur, but it doesn't require
breastmilk--any carb will do!
    My youngest ds has dental caries. We finally stopped the decay by adding
some natural ingredients to his toothpaste, as well as using homeopathy. BTW,
she can also find a dentist willing to do fillings w/o GA. (If anyone is
interested, we have used colloidal silver and bentonite clay--pascalite,
specifically, as well as the homeopathic tissue salt calc fluor).
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA