Date:
Sun, 20 Jan 2008 00:54:09 -0500
Info fromMediLact6, the PDA version of Hale's 2006 Medications and Mothers' Milk (current version)
L3 risk
Pediatric Concerns: None reported via milk but sedation is possible with higher doses.
AAP: Usually compatible with BFing
Adult dose: 10-30 mg q 4 hours PRN
Relative Infant Dose: 10.7% (probably the reason for the L3)
Kinetics:
MW: 285 (anything higher than 200 is good
Protein Binding: 35% (higher than 90% is preferred)
Oral Bioavailability: 26% (That's how baby gets it. So of the amt that actually comes thru to the milk, baby may absorb only 26% of that.)
Pediatric Half Life: 13.9 hours in neonates
Milk/Plasma ratio: 1.1 - 3.6
Adult Half Life: 1.5 - 2 hours
Time to Max: 0.5  1 hours

Many L&D units use morphine for cesarean section mothers.

Hope this helps.
Phyllis

---- [log in to unmask] wrote:

Good Morning anyone who's up and reading. I need a speedy response for a Mum who is right now at the ER. She has a hernia and has been put on morphine, I don't have my Hale's so my question is will this medication hurt her baby? He is 5 days old. She has been pumping and asks whether or not to dump her milk.
Thank you,
Andrea in nyc
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

--