From:
Sue Jacoby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 1995 16:44:32 -0400
Dear Laura,

I was pretty sure you didn't really mean to imply that frequent nursing could
lead to eating disorders.  It is also obvious from your descriptions of
nursing your own little guy that you have a wonderful breastfeeding
relationship.  Every nursing mother I know has a range of strategies she
employs to try to meet her child's needs- nursing, rocking, walking, singing,
and more.  Because mothers know their own children best, they also know how
to pick the most appropriate strategy at any given time- but it sure seems
like nursing usually works the best!

Where the rigid breastfeeding schedulers are off-track, in my opinion, is in
simplistically viewing breastfeeding as just another feeding method.  It is
typical to see the benefits of breastfeeding minimized by those who either
misunderstand or resent this unique, intimate and empowering relationship.
 It is something so special and individual that it cannot be prescribed,
controlled, bought or sold.  Therefore, it is threatening to some, and I
believe their advice reflects subtle attempts to sabotage, not unlike that of
the formula industry.

I have to admit wincing a little when I hear someone say they "fed" their
child "even though they were not hungry."  For me. the word *nursing* better
encompasses ALL of the nurturing that goes on at the breast for food, warmth,
touch, security, focus or relaxation- each legitimate and significant needs
to be filled.

My co-Leader often tells a story about mothers from a culture which carried
their babies all of the time, who were asked by outsiders "how often did they
nurse their babies?"  The women laughed, greatly amused, and replied: "How
often do you scratch an itch?"

Sue Jacoby, LLLL & IBCLC