From:
Jodine Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 07:18:24 -0700
On 3/26/04 6:09 AM, "Naomi Bar-Yam" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Does anyone have any references on research on breastmilk used to aid
> the treatment of cancers of various types and other adult diseases? I
> know there is not a lot of research out there on this yet, and I've
> heard rumors of some research in progress, but I haven't seen much
> written up on it.
> Thanks,
>  Naomi Bar-Yam

The research you're probably thinking of is by Svandborg of Lund, Sweden, on
the folding variant of alpha-lactalbumin that causes apoptosis (cell death)
in cancer cells in a test-tube. Svandborg maintains a web site including a
list of published studies:

http://www.mig.lu.se/svanborg/hamlet.html

Here's a link to the Discover magazine article published in 1999 outlining
the discovery.

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m1511/6_20/55926784/p3/article.jhtml?term=

-- Jodine Chase