From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 22:49:14 +1100
Cheryl,
I don't have any information for you but I know this has been discussed on
Lacnet before (I am sure someone will provide info) and that breastfeeding
whilst undergoing chemotherapy is manageable. I just wanted to ask though if
this mum does breastfeed through that you write it up as a case study for a
journal (pref a cancer journal so those dealing with cancer patients get to
read it!). I had a friend whose
baby was 6 months old when she was diagnosed with cancer. Of course she 'had
to wean' and still grieves what she missed with her so and what he missed
also. It is very difficult for a young baby to have a sick mum- losing
breastfeeding makes it worse. My friend would have been happy to pump and
dump when necessary and to have continued breastfeeding if she knew it was
possible. The message need to get out there!
Karleen Gribble
Australia