Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 21:23:24 +0100

>BUT - what do you all think there is at the end of  this particular booklet
>(from the "care" organisation in my area - if that's the right description).
>AN ADVERTISMENT FOR ARTIFICIAL BABY MILK!!!!! It is an advertisment for
>F......c (a Dutch brand) and it conforms with the Dutch law on babyfood/milk
>advertiments as its for babies above 6 months. But heh - that doesn't matter
>does it. Afterall NOBODY is going to associate it with artificial baby milk
>for babies under 6 months are they! (And this doesn't mean that I think its
>ok!).
>It certainly doesn't conform with the WHO code.

I'd  certainly share your anger, Sara, and I dread the time when
someone in the UK thinks this would be a good idea to place this in
our mothers' books....

But it is not (from what you say) against the WHO code....I think I
am right n saying this.

The WHO code does not apply to milks which are not intended as
breastmilk substitutes, and this is defined as products for babies
over 6 months.

I think this is a serious weakness of the WHO code, and one whch
manufacturers exploit. The UK Law on the marketing of baby milks
(more or less the same, AFAIK, throughout the European Economic
Community) applies to products for babies of under 6 months only, too.

Manufacturers exploit the weakness by having 'follow on' milks which
have similar names, similar packaging, similar branding to the
'first' milks, so an ad for follow on becomes, in effect, an ad for
all the milks in the same range.

As I say, a very serious weakness of the code, and the Law.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc , Newcastle upon Tyne UK