From:
Fiona Dionne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:46:41 -0300

>Here's the problem:  I have a 41 yr-old multipara who successfully breastfed first 2.  She subsequently had a mastopexy (periareolar incision) with a NIPPLE REDUCTION---not a common procedure.  Mom unexpectedly became pregnant and is desperately wanting to breastfeed.   Baby is now 8 days old.  Mom has been engorged (which we are treating) but there is only slight milk transfer in one duct in each nipple at its base.

This is the first time I've ever heard of this...but I must say that one
thought did come to mind.  *If* she can find someone who can do any sort
of surgery that might help her transfer more milk, better, my only
thought was to do one breast at a time, in order to allow for healing,
and in the meantime, treat her situation as one would a breast
reduction, meaning if she needs to supplement, she could do so with a
lactation aid in place, at the breast.  From what I can see, the only
real "risk" to this situation, would be that if, say, it took 6 weeks
for one breast to heal enough to then undergo surgery on the other
breast, she might then find herself with a baby who refused to accept
the opposite breast.  But that is a bridge that could be crossed *if*
one came upon it, and it might not happen either, you never know.

Not any expert in this field in any means, just my thoughts on this...

Fio.
ressource person with Allaitement Québec
Mama to Sandrine, 27 mos, and #2, 11/2002