From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 07:50:30 -0600
Thanks to INFACT for forwarding this Mead Johnson press release below.  What
a marketing opportunity for them!

If they were merely supporting women who had already chosen to formula feed,
that is one thing.  But I question that, when they make this statement:

"Realizing that relief from this disaster may take months, steps have been
taken to increase production of our formulas to keep up with demand."

Where is this "increased demand" coming from???  Suddenly, each baby who
survived the hurricane will be eating more formula that they otherwise
would?  I think not.  The only way that demand could be increased, is for
less babies to be breastfed.  There is no reason for less babies to be
breastfed - in fact, considering the physical ordeal that these babies have
been through, and the cramped conditions and lack of financial resources
that the families will be living in, there is EVERY reason that the moms
should be supported to relactate and strongly counselled to breastfeed their
infants and children.

Janice Reynolds

Mead Johnson Nutritionals
Website Communication
Hurricane Katrina Disaster Relief
09.02.05

The employees at Mead Johnson are very concerned for the families who are
affected by Hurricane Katrina.

Our mission is to extend and enhance human life. Our commitment to this
mission has never been greater and has special meaning at times like these.
We are prepared to do whatever we can to help people in need.

At Mead Johnson, we are particularly committed to enhancing the lives of
infants and children. As soon as we became aware of the destruction caused
by Hurricane Katrina, we launched into action. Our first shipments of infant
formula and other supplies were en-route the day after the devastation.
Since then, using trucks and dedicated planes, we have shipped hundreds of
thousands of ready-to-feed bottles and cans of Enfamil® formulas, as well as
feeding accessories and bottles. Realizing that relief from this disaster
may take months, steps have been taken to increase production of our
formulas to keep up with demand.

Bristol-Myers Squibb, our parent company, has donated $1 million to the
American Red Cross and is providing medicines as needed. The company has
also initiated a matching funds program, matching dollar-for-dollar monetary
donations our employees make to the American Red Cross for disaster relief
from hurricane Katrina. As with other disasters in the past, we expect the
Bristol Myers Squibb and Mead Johnson employees to respond with great
generosity.

Our thoughts are with everyone who has been so drastically affected by
Hurricane Katrina. We will continue to work with relief agencies like Second
Harvest and the American Red Cross to provide additional infant formula
shipments for as long as they are needed. We believe that providing for
those in need helps us live our mission.

©2005 Mead Johnson & Company