Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 2009 23:26:30 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Hi all,

Although I should do some thorough searching myself, I would be very thankful if someone could lead me the way.
I am looking for studies that show what the risks are of unnecessary interventions in the early breastfeeding days.
I know there is something like that available, but I always have such a hard time finding exactly the right info... :-(
I have a heated discussion with an organisation about a physiologically perfectly normal baby that wanted to breastfeed very often end of last week.
They wanted to introduce a pump (4th/5th day pp...) to take away foremilk so that baby could take hindmilk, because he was feeding so often and falling asleep after some ten minutes at breast...
Lc had only been on the phone, had not seen the parents, came to this plan with the childbed nurse at home with the family.
I asked whether breastcompression had already been discussed, if increasing intake was an issue. No, had not been discussed.
I was supposed to rent out the pump, but suggested to the childbed nurse (who is not an RN, it's a far lower level) I contact the lc to see if we could work out a less invasive plan.
They are very angry with me now for 'interfering'. They said we could have discussed the intervention afterwards (after the parents would have started off trying to find out how to fit the pump into the schedule and after having spent the money on the pump set and the pump rental..). I suggested to the manager that interventions ought to be discussed 'before' starting them, not afterwards.
So far, I have not been able to get my message across about the importance of *seeing* mom and baby first and *not* intervening anyway when all goes well and the only problem is folks who just don't seem to know what's normal. I hope a study explaining the risk of unnecessary interventions can help get the message across. I know info like that exists; please help me find it... thanks!

Bye,

Marianne Vandervee IBCLC, Netherlands

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2