From:
Lee Galasso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2007 15:03:39 -0500

Regina wrote:  "In their study, regurgitation alone was the symptom in the
infants who proved not to have GERD, if I am reading the study correctly.
The ones with abnormal pH-probe tests frequently had *additional* symptoms
in addition to regurgitation."

I wanted to add another thought to this:  Many babies I have seen who were
diagnosed with reflux actually had feeding management problems.  Some of the
babies were being overfed (e.g. a premie who weighed 5 lbs was receiving 3-4
oz every 3-4 hours so that he could get more rest in between feedings - no
wonder he was regurgitating).  As soon as the moms fed the babies less at a
feeding, the symptoms disappeared.  Other babies were not sucking correctly;
they had been using artificial nipples.  With suck retraining/ corrected
positioning/ better latch, their symptoms disappeared as well.  When
breastfeeding is mismanaged iatrogenically, a lot of problems develop and
the problems are blamed on breastfeeding.  The uninformed cannot realize
that they themselves have created the problems.  We need to keep informing
the healthcare providers, even if they don't want us to.

Warm regards,

Lee

Lee Galasso, MS, LLLL, IBCLC, RLC

"Children are Born with the Right to be Breastfed"