From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2008 08:08:33 +1000
Mercy Corps has just launched a breastfeeding support product for Mothers Day. Money for the purchase of the kit goes directly to training health professionals and lay breastfeeding counsellor in poor areas of Jakarta. You can read more information about this "product" at http://www.mercycorps.org/mercykits/health and more about the work of Mercy Corps in this area at http://www.mercycorps.org/countries/indonesia/2120
This is the first such aid product just about breastfeeding from any aid org!...if we want other aid agencies to take this up (and to prioritise breastfeeding) we need to support it. I have told aid agency reps at meetings that there are thousands of people around the world who understand how important breastfeeding is and are breastfeeding advocates in their own countries. I told them that they would support a "breastfeeding support product" if given the opportunity...I hope I'm right. Please pass on the info about this initiative....I think it's very exciting!
Karleen