From:
Kathy Boggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 2006 22:06:52 EST
Stacy Brown states, "After we collect the milk and ship it to Prolacta, it
is tested and
blended into consistent formulations of 20 calorie, 24 calorie  and human
milk fortifier with added minerals. It is then pasteurized using  high
temperature short term pasteurization which preserves more sIgA than  the
Holder method. After pasteurization, the milk is pumped from the tank  into
a class 10,000 cleanroom where it is fillked into 10ml oral syringes  with
nutritional labels. The finished product is held in quarantine until
independent laboratory testing clears it for bio burden, PCR and
nutritional label validation. Hope this helps!"

Here's my fear--a consistent formulation of 20-24 calories--just like
formula--may seem more attractive to many physicians and parents than  trusting to
nature and the superiority of mother's own milk for her own  baby.  This just
doesn't feel right to me--the idea that the milk for sick  and premature babies
needs to be "consistently formulated" by a  for profit company. And as many
have pointed out mothers donating are not  reimbursed. And how IS it
formulated?

Kathy Boggs, RN, IBCLC